I’m a man and a Texan. Two things that almost immediately disqualify the use of tofu as the primary “protein” in my house. Included in a chicken Pad Thai? You see the word “chicken” in that title, right? Then I’m cool. But by itself?
So when wife suggested a bowl with only tofu, I was like, MEH. But I’m a good husband, so we gave it a shot.
Bottom line, not mad that we did. To be honest, we added enough other quality ingredients that you hardly noticed that tofu was meant to be the star.
The benefit of using tofu, aside from being healthy and crap, is that it’s super porous. Meaning, that if you do it right, you can create any taste you want.
This bowl was an Asian influence, super filling and mad tasty. And yes, healthy, vegan, gluten-free and whatever other buzz words you want to add.
Let’s get cooking!
Prep: 1 hour 30 minutes Cook: 15 minutes Total: 1 hour 45 minutes (the vast majority of the time is spent prepping and marinating the tofu)
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED:
12 ounces extra firm tofu
½ cup soy sauce
¼ cup rice vinegar
2 tablespoons agave
1 clove minced garlic
1 bag of Padma’s Easy Exotic Brown Rice
Black and white sesame seeds
Sriracha mayo – I use Hampton Creek Vegan Just Mayo and you won’t notice the difference
- I learned a lot by watching this video on how to best prep the Tofu, so you should watch it.
- I cut it in half, placed on a towel and placed 5-6 large books on top to get out all of the water. I gave it about an hour.
- Cut into small cubes and marinate in the soy sauce, vinegar, agave, and garlic while you prep the veggies and other ingredients. (I gave it about 30 min, stirring periodically to keep coverage even).
- Add oil to a skillet and heat.
- After draining extra marinade, add tofu to the hot pan.
- Stir or tong-flip gently from time to time, in order to keep from over-browning.
- When browned, remove from heat and add to bowl with rice on the bottom.
Veggies, Mayo, Rice
- While tofu is marinating, chop and prep the rest of the veggies.
- Based on how spicy you like it, add Sriracha to the Just Mayo until you’ve found the balance you’re looking for.
- Steam the rice in the microwave, only a few minutes before the tofu is done.
- Rice in the bowl
- Tofu in the bowl
- Veggies and avocado in the bowl
- Drizzle with soy sauce and the mayo
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and mircogreens
- Mix it up and eat that shit!
Pinch of Yum, obvi, for this gem.